profiling

Usage of VEX tools

profiling

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:04 pm

HI everybody
I wanted to make a profiling of the code to know how many integer operations how many multiplication and so on are performed by my benchmark.Does somebody of you know how can I do it?
Thanks
Francesca

Re: profiling

Postby frb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Anonymous wrote:HI everybody
I wanted to make a profiling of the code to know how many integer operations how many multiplication and so on are performed by my benchmark.Does somebody of you know how can I do it?
Thanks
Francesca

It's not trivial, but it could be done. There's an example of a similar analysis in the share/apps/api directory. Basically, you have to redefine some of the macros that the compiled simulator generates.

-- Paolo
frb

Postby ah105 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi,

To count the number of memory stores you declare “static int nst = 0;” in “cachelib.c” and you increment this variable in the normal memory store function “mem_trace_st”. The simulator calls this function whenever a STW operation is used, as appears in “*.cs.c” files.

The function declaration appears in:
vex/api/cachlib.c
api/cache_api.h
csim/cs_header.h

To count the number of add operations, can we declare a static variable in “cachelib.c” and define a macro that increments this variable whenever an ADD operation is used. How to make the simulator call the increment macro whenever the add operation is used?

Thanks,
Abed
ah105

Postby frb » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:58 pm

Because of performance issues, simple arithmetic operations don't go through function calls, but are directly inlined in the compiled simulator.
However, the compiled simulator does call a macro ADD() to implement the ADD (for example).

If you look at share/appi in the "filterlib" example, you can find an example of how to define a filter to do the substitution of the predefined macros with whatever you want. it's a bit painful because you have to substitute all macros, but it's doable.

-- Paolo
frb

Return to VEX Tools